The building in the Voyvoda Street ( Bankalar Caddesi, banks street) in Karakoy, built by the renowned French-Turkish architect Alexander Vallaury in 1890 and used as the headquarters of the Ottoman Bank from its openning to service on May 27, 1892 until 1999, hosts today the Ottoman Bank Museum in addition to Karakoy branch of Garanti Bank and its area directorates on the ground floor, the Ottoman Bank Archives and Research Center on the upper floors.
The objects and documents displayed in the museum provide an insight into the late Ottoman and early Republican period. The museum displays the economic, social and political environment of the times through market operations, bank branches, customer files and personnel files in a combination of both chronological and thematic approaches.
Four bank vaults, located at the center of the main exhibit hall, are used to display archival series such as stocks and bonds, accounting books, customer files, deposit cards, personnel files and photographs. The largest two-storied vault hosts the banknotes and silver coins issued between 1863 and 1914 together with the story, design, registration and samples of each.