Mustafa Kemal Ataturk stayed in the building between 1918 and 1919. The bulding was purchased by the City Manicupality in 1928 and converted to a museum later on in 1942. Mustafa Kemal drafted his first plans for building the modern Turkish Republic in this place, along with his soldier and civilian colleagues. Originally the first floor of the building was used as staff room and dining room. The 2nd floor was used as a meeting place, office and also contained bedrooms. 3rd floor Ataturk's mother Zubeyde Hanim.'s and his sister Makbule's private rooms.
Large amount of items displayed in the museum contains Ataturk's personal belongings, this clothes, uniforms, pictures of his live as a soldier and a civilian, handwritten letters, documents, his medals, as well as souvenirs. His Marshall uniform and clothes that wore during the Sivas Congress are among the important pieces of the museum. The museum also exhibits his writing sets, cigar boxes, medals and a wooden radio which was a gift of The US President Roosevelt. Among the original pieces displayed in the museum, you can also see the watercolor paintings by V. Pisani, illustrating the Turkish War of Independece.