Located in the neightbourhood of Fatih. This was one of the least accessible areas of the city with the Kirk Merdiven cliffs on one side and a deep cistern on the other. The complex is set on a hilltop and was built on the ruins of a Byzantine palace in 1519-1522 at the order of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent in memory of his father Yavuz Sultan Selim. The architect is unknown.
The complex contains a mosque, soup kitchen, a mousoleum, a hamam and a primary school, although the hamam and primary school are no longer standing.
The mosque is located in an outer courtyard which rings the complex. The area designated for late-arriving worshippers is encicled by 18 columns and 22 domes. The 20 windows around the courtyard are covered with glazed tile panels, which are the finest examples of the period. The portico of the courtyard is decorated with floral designs. A reservoir for ablutions is found in the center of the courtyard. It is domed with eight marble pillars. There are two minarets with a single gallery each, and rooms on both sides of the mosque for the imam and muezzin. The shutters of the doors are fine examples of engraving and mother of pearl relief. The mosque is square in shape and extremely simple design. The pulpit is made of ornamented marble.
The enclosed cemetery on the kiblah, or Mecca, side of the mosuque contains the remains of Yavuz Sultan Selim, the heirs of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent who died at a young age, his daughtes are three tombs belonging to Sultan Abdulmecid. Of these, the window shutters, doors and wooden banister of the mausoleum belonging to Yavuz Sultan Selim are masterpieces of mother of pearl relief. Other than the mosque and mausoleum, the only structure which survived to the present is the primary school, located in the outer courtyard.